The Indiana Department of Transportation and the Indiana Department of Revenue have officially made a decision on some changes to their oversize/overweight permitting program effective Monday, July 16, 2018.
The state had proposed some major changes to steer/axle, permit times for loads over 134,000 pounds and bridge fee changes, and after some talks regarding changes with the Specialized Carriers & Rigging Association (SC&RA) and other industry groups, the state is moving forward.
Changes by INDOT include:
- Vehicles weighing 350,000 pounds or more will no longer be eligible for 30-day route preapprovals
- Steer/front axle may not exceed 20,000 pounds GAW
- All other axles may not exceed 24,000 pounds GAW
- Bridge engineering analysis currently required for vehicles weighing 200,000 pounds or more, will now be required for vehicles weighing more than 134,000 pounds
- Self-propelled equipment may not exceed these axles weights and all permit applications for self-propelled equipment will receive a full bridge analysis and may need to make route and other modifications
The SC&RA had advocated for these changes to be postponed for up to six months.
The state also provided the following example of permitting costs for a 134,000-pound GVW vehicle :
Route: Indianapolis to the Illinois State Line, using 1-465N from exit 42 to I-74W to Illinois.
Length = 100 miles
Number of bridges crossed = 38
Permit fees for 134,000lb GVW and greater:
= $20 base fee + $10 administrative fee + $25 design review fee + $10/bridge crossed + $0.60/mile traveled
Example = $20 + $10 + $25 + 38 bridges ($10) + 100 miles ($0.60) = $495.00
Permit fees for 200,000lb GVW and greater:
= $20 base fee + $10 administrative fee + $25 design review fee + $10/bridge crossed + $1.00/mile traveled
Example = $20 + $10 + $25 + 38 bridges ($10) + 100 miles ($1.00) = $535.00
WCS Permits Can Help
As always, everyone here at WCS Permits & Pilot Cars is ready to help you! If you have any questions, please feel to Contact Us Online now or call us at (888) 737-6483 to reach our customer service department. One of our experienced transportation agents can help you with any needs and questions that you may have or direct you to the expert who can.