The Indiana Department of Transportation and the Indiana Department of Revenue are notifying motor carriers of a change to their oversize/overweight permitting program effective Monday, July 16, 2018.
Last month, The Specialized Carriers & Rigging Association (SC&RA) confirmed some proposed changes to the state’s oversize/overweight permitting policy would possibly be postponed, but this confirms changes will be made.
According to the state’s memo, the following changes will apply:
- Bridge engineering analysis, currently required for vehicles weighing 200,000 pounds or more, will now be required for vehicles weighing more than 134,000 pounds. According to the state, this change is based on research from Purdue University as well as guidance from the Federal Highway Administration. This change includes an additional bridge fee
- The state will hold all permitted overweight vehicles in compliance with the requirements of 105 IAC 10-3-3, which have existed since 2014. THe following allowances to existing policies for overweight permits will be implemented
- Steer/front axle may not exceed 20,000 pounds GAW
- All other axles may not exceed 24,000 pounds GAW
- Self-propelled equipment may exceed these axles weights; all permit applications for self-propelled equipment will receive a full bridge analysis and may need to make route and other modifications, and all permitting bridge review fees apply
The permitting process will remain the same for vehicles with GVW 200,000 pounds or more, with the exception that vehicles weighing 350,000 pounds or more will no longer be eligible for 30-day route preapprovals. The permit process will also remain the same for vehicles weighing less than 134,000 pounds (other than self-propelled equipment).
The SC&RA had advocated for these changes to be postponed for up to six months, however the state hopes these limits will protect infrastructure while allowing the necessary movement of overweight vehicles.
The state also provided the following example of permitting costs for a 134,000-pound GVW vehicle :
Route: Indianapolis to the Illinois State Line, using 1-465N from exit 42 to I-74W to Illinois.
Length = 100 miles
Number of bridges crossed = 38
Permit fees for 134,000lb GVW and greater:
= $20 base fee + $10 administrative fee + $25 design review fee + $10/bridge crossed + $0.60/mile traveled
Example = $20 + $10 + $25 + 38 bridges ($10) + 100 miles ($0.60) = $495.00
Permit fees for 200,000lb GVW and greater:
= $20 base fee + $10 administrative fee + $25 design review fee + $10/bridge crossed + $1.00/mile traveled
Example = $20 + $10 + $25 + 38 bridges ($10) + 100 miles ($1.00) = $535.00